DOES YOUR BUSINESS HAVE A TECHNOLOGY PLAN?
Think strategically about hardware, software, and technical support
A technical plan is similar to a business plan, financial plan, or human resources plan, in that it helps you tie a specific area of your business to overall business goals. A technology plan can help you think about the future, allowing you to prepare for your company’s upcoming needs and grow as technology changes over time. Your company needs a technology plan, no matter its size or offerings, and whether or not it specializes in technology.
Benefits of a Technology Plan
With a technology plan, your company can proactively adapt to, and keep up with, technological advances, which is beneficial in a number of ways:
- You’ll be more likely to meet technology goals if you have them. A technology plan is where you can record such goals and track their progress.
- Your business will have the right equipment to meet new customer demands.
- You’ll be ahead of the technology curve, signaling to customers that you’re competent in other areas of your business as well.
- You’ll have a budget for purchasing new technology so these expenses won’t come as a surprise and throw off your finances.
- Your business may attract younger workers to whom up-to-date technology is not just an added bonus, but expected.
- You may save money. By not planning ahead, you risk having technology that becomes obsolete and needs to be replaced every few years. Thinking ahead and investing in better equipment can result in fewer problems and less time and money needed to deal with them.
How to Get Started
The first step in building a technology plan is to assess your company’s current technology. Ask for feedback from both customers and employees to see what needs to be improved. Look for areas of your business that could use more technology to make the work more efficient. Also, look for places where you may have technology that you don’t need (for example, printers in a paperless office).
Next, think about what you want to accomplish in your business and how technology can help. Set goals accordingly. Make sure to consider the feasibility of the goals, including how much time and money it will take to complete each one. Consider what technology might be needed if your company grows and how technology may change over time.
After you create the plan, it’s time to start implementation. Don’t forget to revisit and revise it each year.
Technology plans help businesses reach their goals.