Data Center Specialist
Who We Are:
Madison Communications is a nationally recognized communications company located in Southwest Central Illinois. We are a premier provider of data, voice and video communications utilizing cutting edge technology. Madison delivers a wide array of Enterprise and Consumer products and services while providing superior customer support.
Madison is looking for a passionate and energetic individual who will oversee the installations, maintenance, and testing of all Headend/Data Center and remote/node sites for the delivery of voice, video, and broadband services. Responsibilities include installation, maintenance, and design of access provider network equipment, customer network equipment, and support of telecom related functions to meet company/customer needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures continuous operation of receiving, transmission, content origination and broadband equipment by overseeing maintenance of existing equipment, and installation and acceptance testing of new equipment.
- Performs daily checks of traffic and performance monitoring systems.
- Reviews content receiving equipment and broadband equipment status reports and recommends areas for improvement.
- Reviews/monitors equipment logs and ensures that problems and issues are resolved.
- Prepares specifications for new equipment and oversees any changes or upgrades to equipment.
- Coordinates projects handled by external vendors by preparing projects for bid, determining vendors to be used, and overseeing projects to ensure specifications and requirements are met.
- Ensures upgrades and changes are completed in a manner with least negative effect on service, which requires off hours maintenance window/night work.
- Collects data and prepares traffic studies, FCC performance reports, and submits required regulatory reports.
- Prepares headend maintenance/progress reports and presents to Network Operations Supervisor.
- Accesses network equipment, customer network equipment and designs voice/video/broadband solutions that meet customer needs utilizing company products and services.
- Creates, maintains and audits accurate documentation of receiving, combining, muxing and transmission of video/broadband services.
- Proficient in troubleshooting Data, Video and Voice circuits with knowledge of HFC, Fiber and Twisted Pair infrastructure and services to be maintained to State and Federal regulatory standards.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.*
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Hands-on experience installing and troubleshooting network level systems including but not limited to LAN/WAN technology, IP addressing schemes, subnetting, industry standard routing protocols, software, hardware and servers, etc.
- Knowledge of electronics, signal
reception/processing/transmission in data center/ telecom environments, and
ability to use and interpret test equipment (i.e. SLM) on such equipment.
- Skilled in technical problem solving and
- Experience with packet capture and analysis
products such as Wireshark, Sniffer, and Netscout.
- Basic knowledge of network firewalls,
routers, pc/server hardware, and various operating systems.
- Knowledge and ability to work on
electronics, AC power, DC power and grounding in data center/telecom
- Ability to read and interpret documents
such as schematics, blueprints and circuit diagrams.
- Motivated in having the ability to
communicate, work cross-functionally with other departments, vendors, customers
and be able to work independently in making sound technical decisions.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced,
ever-changing environment and to stay current with job knowledge through
additional training and periodic follow-up training.
- Ability to work a variety of hours, on-call
and occasional extended schedules.
- Extensive knowledge of word processing,
spreadsheets, and database computer applications (preferably Microsoft Word,
Excel, and Access).
- Ability to perceive color differences.
Education, Experience and Requirements:
- Valid Illinois driver’s license required and CDL certification preferred.
- High School Diploma required.
- Associate Degree and/or the equivalent experience and Technical Certifications in related fields required. BS in IT related degree preferred.
- Preferred experience in the following; Terrestrial and Satellite Transmission, RF, Analog/Digital Video, 8VSB, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Docsis 3.0, DWDM, RFOG, GPON, Arris: C4 CMTS or equivalent; Arris/Cisco/SA/Motorola: Receivers; Motorola: SEM; Arris: VIPr/Quartet; RGB Networks: BNP/MMC/APEX/SEP; Aurora/Arris: Transmitters/Receivers.
- Preferred Certifications i.e.: CCNA, CCNP, MEF, CompTIA, SCTE.
Madison values intellectually curious-minded professionals who are interested in aggressively learning and sharing new concepts and skills to support an independent, family-owned business in expansion opportunities and partnerships needed to effectively compete. Accordingly, consideration will be made for candidates that have business experience outside of the specifications listed above. Salary will be based on experience, skill level and education for the target position. Madison is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment Type Full-Time
Job Type Network Operations Specialist
Start Date/Duration Flexible, with opportunity to start immediately
Education Associates Degree required/Bachelor's Degree preferred
Reports To Network Operations Supervisor
Manages Others No
Industry Communications, Video and Data Services
Required Travel Minimal
Find Us At www.gomadison.com/aboutus/careers
Email Us email@example.com